Thursday, November 4, 2010

New York State of Mind

Well we made it. We've been in New York since Tuesday evening and I feel like we are getting a pretty good feel for the city. Our first night we landed at JFK and jumped into a cab. It's a flat rate fee for them to take you into the city which is 55$ which includes the toll road fee and then we tipped him a couple bucks. I received an email on my phone saying that our boss had a meeting till late and couldn't meet us until a little bit later. We were instructed to leave our baggage with the door man at the building until he could let us in. The email made a few suggestions for dinner and we went to the closest which was an Irish Pub a few blocks up. Ashley and I sat at a table by the front window and ordered some food. We were starving after a long day of traveling. I had corned beef a cabbage and she had bangers and mash. Both were really good, I think mine was the best that I've ever had. We finished and still had some time to burn so we just walked around a little bit. The hustle and bustle and business really caught my attention. Everyone is on their way to something important, at least it seems that way. Also ashley and I noticed the trash on the sidewalks. What's that all about? We were told by the doorway that everynight is trash night and it looks like that everyday... weird.

My boss made it to the appt. to let us in and to explain how everything worked and what we needs to know. It's a really nice appt on the upper westside on 86th street. We are within walking distance of Central Park. After he left we had our freak out moment about how cool all of this was and ho lucky we are to be experienceing all of it. We decided to hit the hay because after all of the days nervousness and excitement we were both exhausted.

Wednesday we didn't have to meet our boss/supervisor until noon so we got ready and set out on the city. after receiving tons of directives and had them repeated we set out for the subway system which is only 2 blocks away. We paid for a two way pass and set out for Times Square this is the stop we get off to go into the office which worked out perfect for us to see some sights before going in to meet with HR. We sat down and filledbout some paperwork and discussed for a while the description of our jobs and what not. From there Meredith walked us down to one of the shows we do merchants for called Promises Promises. It stars Kristin Chenowith, Sean Sean Hayes, and Molly Shannon. This was Ashley show for the night to train with. Mine was a few blocks away and I would be working on Elf the musical. Funny how I was trying to avoid Christmas this year and I get placed at a Christmas musical in November. We still had time to turn between that time and the time we needed to be back at the theaters to work so ashley and I walked, ate, walked, ate some more and did some more walking. Finally it was time to head to our shows and get working for the night. I met Megan, who happens to be Meredith sister, and is the meet h manager for Elf and my boss for the night. I was given the job of cAb seller and it was my job to walk around before the show, intermission and after the show to sell Elf hats. There is a baseball cap and an Elf logo Santa hat. The whole night people either found it worth the coat or said "I'm not paying that much for a Santa hat!" I sold 7 hats, which I heard was decent considered we haven't officially opened yet. Ashley and I met after our shows were done and rode home on the subway. We accidents tool the wrong one and instead of dropping us off a few blocks away it took us a more than a few blocks away. Our feet were dying and we were tired so we went thrilled about out bonehead move, but we just started walking and observed the city at night and all its wonder. We made it back and basically jumped in bed. Our first full day in the big city had it all. Walkjng, adventure, time square, food, meeting new people, excitement, and memories.

I'm not going to post daily about everything we do because that would get old, even for me. So ill let you know the highlight from Thursday. We woke up around 9 and we were so tired and because it was raining we decided brush best way to spend the day was resting so we diet get burned out. So we both fell back to sleep till about 1. We got up, enjoyed the awesomness that is: The Five Napkin Burger. It's a burger as big as your head, ark maybe not that big, but pretty big. I was placed with Elf again and Ashley was placed with the show we will be working on: Next to Normal. I was selling hats like I was the night before but this time instead of them in a laptop bag slung over my shoulder I got to have an official red and green.box (like the cigar girls used to carry). When I was standing at the doorway I had my first famous sighting. Chelsea Clinton! I'm told after a while you see so many it becomes so unexciting but for now it was kinda cool. She did not buy one of my hats :(

It's now Friday morning and Ashley and I don't have to be anywhere till 7 tonight. We are hoping if the rain clears up we can see the statue of liberty and ground zero among a few other things. Please please please excuse all the mistakes as I am updating from my phone and its not easy to type all this out on a 2inch by 4 inch screen. Most of the pictures are on my Canon and I have no way of getting them off for now so pictures will have to wait till I'm home in November.

I think of Tyson any time I see something I thing he would think is cool and every time I see a group of teenagers who are obviously on a field trip. Tyson came to the east coast in high-school with his classmates and NY was one of their stops. As most of you know Tyson would get sick and throw up regularly and on the day thy were to go to the Statue of Liberty he was too sick to go. I don't remember any of the things he actually did but I do remember the one thing he missed and I'm excited to do that for him...

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Lindsey, how FREAKIN' awesome is this!?!?!?! I'm so excited for you. Sounds like you're doing great, and you'll be selling hats like hotcakes in no time! I love the posts and I will never get bored of hearing of your adventures. You did pretty well from your phone, so don't let that stop you. Can't wait to see photos. Email them to me and I'll post them for you.
    Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsey, I love the posts! I am so happy to read it! Definitely keep them coming, mistakes and all! I always check to see if you have written. Sounds like you are having the adventure of a lifetime. Little jealous, my say! Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete