Sunday, October 23, 2011

"Liking" my passion

Its a weird thing to put a passion or a love out there in the world for others to look at and critique. Art is such an interpretive thing and photography is something everyone does quite a bit of, even if its just a point and shoot camera you throw into your purse. I feel like more people have an opinion on pictures because we can all do it to some degree.

When I take a picture, I am doing my best to capture a certain moment in time the way I am seeing it behind the lens. I then put all of those images on to my computer where I slowly decide if I was successful at capturing the same moment I saw the day that I took the picture. From there I decide whats good (in my opinion) and how to change, crop, lighten, darken etc.. I have been doing this on a very small scale for a little over a year for friends and family. I decided sometime this year that I wanted it to be less of a hobby and more of a small business adventure and branch out to people outside of my comfort zone.

Let me tell you, ITS SCARY!!!

My family, is amazing. I have been pushed (in a good way) to continue to follow this dream. Constantly be encouraged to start a Facebook, get a website, write a blog, start a Twitter, what ever I needed to do to get my name out there. So slowly over the past few months I have been doing so. It's the scariest thing to put those pictures out into the world after using my limited editing knowledge and limited picture practice and hope that the pictures are received well by those who see them. Anytime I go to post or send something out, a pang of anxiety rushes over my body. PLEASE LET SOMEONE THINK THEY ARE GOOD. I hope at least one of them is good in their eyes. I then have to walk away and do something for a while that in the hopes by the time I get back to the computer there will be at least one positive comment.

And you know what... there always is! I love that people support me even if its a click of the "like" button under the picture. Its just the tiny bit of confidence that I need to continue.

I'm not sure where my confidence went or if I ever really had any. I'm not sure if its something that Tyson gave me and I lost it the day he died. Was it never really there but I didn't care because I never needed that outside attention? I'm not really sure but either way the positive feedback I have gotten from people over my pictures and my choice to continue with it has been a huge blessing.

Please don't read this and go comment on all of my pictures, that's not what I wanted to achieve by writing this. My point simply is just a thank you for the tiny thoughts and words of encouragement that already exist there. Its all I need :)

No comments:

Post a Comment